Welcome, friends! Today I’m sharing some facts and review about the books I’ve read this year so far and books I’m still looking forward to reading. If you have any book recommendations please let me know in the comments! Any genre, I am an open book (haha).
Books I’ve read this year:
- First read of the year: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
- Favorite female character: Vasya, from The Bear and the Nightingale
- Book that deserves more attention: Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
- Shortest book read in 2017: “Death on the Nile” by Agatha Christie and “The Raft” by Stephen King are two short stories I read so far this year, both equaling 30 pages according to Goodreads.
- Favorite male character: I finally read Leaves on the Wind, the graphic novel continuation of the Firefly story, so let’s go with Malcolm Reynolds. #shiny
- Beautiful book cover: The Bear and the Nightingale has such a beautiful cover.
- Most read genre: Fantasy (like always)
- Favorite side characters: The Blackthorn family in the Dark Artifices series is one reason why I won’t stop reading the series.
- Longest book read: Voyager by Diana Gabaldon at 870 pages.
- Book that made me cry: You Will Not Have My Hate by Antoine Leiris
- “Hate is heavy, let it go.”
- New favorite author: Sylvain Neuvel
- Book not finished: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I will get back to this one, someday, but I was not in the right head space to read it now.
- Best Sequel: Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel was amazing. And the ending. Man, I can’t wait for the next one!
- Favorite book quote: “Of course he wasn’t dead, He could never be dead until she herself had finished feeling and thinking. The kiss of his memory made pictures of love and light against the wall. Here was peace. She pulled in her horizon like a great fish-net. Pulled it from around the waist of the world and draped it over her shoulder. So much life in its meshes! She called in her soul to come and see.” (Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston)
- Beautifully written: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- Favorite read so far: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
Books I want to read this year:
- Series I want to start: The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas
- 2017 release I haven’t read yet: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (Someone told me this was like The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, but for adults)
- Standalone I want to read: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- New to me author I want to read: Patrick Rothfuss and his Kingkiller Chronicles
- Series I want to finish: *That completely frustrating moment when all the sequels you want to read haven’t been written yet.
- Most intimidating on my TBR: I really want to tackle some Russian lit this year and read Anna Karenina
- Fantasy book I want to read: Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- Most anticipated release for the rest of 2017: Luckily all the books I was waiting for this year have been released already, so now I just have to wait for everything in 2018.
- Book to reread: I’ve been in such a reading slump lately. Maybe I need a reread. Harry Potter? The Bear and the Nightingale?
- Book to read by the end of the year: I want to finally read Pride and Prejudice this year. *** This is what I said in my mid-year book survey last year… Maybe it’ll happen this year.
What is your favorite book so far this year?