Hello to all of those who love books and lists!
Here is a bookish list of pet peeves that I have when it comes to readers, critique-rs, and books that I read.
- Shaming people about the books that they read. I find it to be so awful when people critique others for what they’re reading because it’s not academic or it’s something they don’t like. At least they are reading. There are so many people in this world who don’t read anything, so maybe we shouldn’t shame people for reading something they like.
- This is something that has been bothering me lately. I get so annoyed (especially on Goodreads) when people are super critical about a book that they’re not even interested in. If you’re going to complain about a whiny teenager, then why are reading about a whiny teenager?
- Something that annoys me in books that I’ve read: love triangles. I just get so frustrated with them!
- Unnecessary cheesiness. Sometimes it’s just too over the top. I just finished reading City of Heavenly Fire and there were some cringe-worthy moments in it. You know, some cheesiness is okay, whatever, but while I was reading I just kept thinking to myself “people don’t actually say this.”
- Unnecessary long series. I’m not a published writer, so this is kind of just something that I have to deal with. But some series just drag and that’s why I don’t finish them.
- When characters in a book have excessive self-doubt. Sometimes self-doubt really helps build the character, sometimes its TOO MUCH. I really loved The Well of Ascension, but Vin was super annoying with her self-doubt throughout the entire 700 pages.
- When people judge a book without reading it. I’m not going to mention anything specific. But we all know that one series that everyone judges, especially if they haven’t read it.
- Another thing that has been bothering me lately on Goodreads: complaining about something that you knew was going to be in the book. You read the back of the book. You know it’s going to be in there. Stop complaining. Specifically the whole “insta-love” thing that everyone hates. It’s a 300 page book and there are no time jumps in it. Insta-love is going to happen. If you know you’re going to hate it, then don’t read it.
- I hate when book pages are crinkly. Although It bothers me whenever any paper is crinkled, not just books.
- Harsh reviews. Maybe I’m too nice when it comes reviewing books, but it’s like a personal affront when someone is too harsh. Haha. There’s this one reviewer on Goodreads who reviews nearly everything and she’s always so mean. Why can’t we just love? Huh?
What are your pet peeves when it comes to reading?